2011 Energy Tax Credit Details:
- The old generous credit titled the 2009-2010 American Recovery and Reinvestment Act (ARRA) – was allowed to expire and was not renewed.
- The new energy efficient tax credit is only a 10% credit, up to a maximum of $500. The prior cap had been up to $1500, which will expire on Dec 31, 2010.
- Of that, only $200 for EnergyStar windows can be applied.
- Furnaces are only allowed to get a $200 credit and they must now be 95% efficient, more stringent than the 90% requirement from 2009-2010.
- Wood heating systems are eligible for a max $300 credit.
- To reiterate, of the various programs you may take advantage of, the cap is $500 total IF you haven’t taken advantage of the credit previously.
- Anyone that took advantage of the prior tax credits cannot utilize the credit in 2011 (no double-dipping).